Spent about two weeks or so doing a redesign for an alert system. The project was really just an exercise in ui design but I wanted to go a bit harder. The problem was simple based on numerous articles showing how the Hawaii missle alert threat was the fault of bad design.
Use the prototype
What I learned
This project was a lot of fun and my main goal for it was to craft a solid visual style since I've never done that before.
I also decided later on in the project that I should make small. I realized how much and to what scale I wanted this project to be so instead of getting myself anxious I decided to scale down and be okay with it.
While researching for this project I started with looking up as much as I could learn about the reaction to it. I found about 10 different articles discussing design in relation to the incident. The big thing I learned from all of these was designing with friction for the user in mind.
For my sketches I stuck with what I knew but also started learning about the backend of the system I was redesigining. It turns out this whole project was really just a design for a software that interacted with a government API called IPAWS.
All my screens are in the prototype but here's a couple if you don't wanna click the dang link.