- Front-End, UX, UI


Tasked with redesigning and developing from the ground up a new site for Rochester Institute of Technology’s Student Employment Office.


Learning where to go

The site is a ‘job board’ and information hub for on-campus employers and students.

After understanding the goal for the site, I realized I needed to know more about the site’s users. Using Google analytics, I could see the most obvious user pain points: poor navigation, confusing hierarchy, and too many clicks needed to get to the user’s end goal. I needed to streamline the user’s path.


I made many iterations for each page, identifying the content and goal. This process brought to light additional user pain points. One such problem dealt with how much information the user had to weed through. A search function wouldn’t be helpful since the user likely didn’t know what to search for. To solve this issue, I used Google analytics and organized information by type of content onto two pages, giving each piece of content on the page hierarchy based on drop-off rate.

After all this was done I shrank the site’s theoretical footprint from 20+ pages to about 6.


To begin the wireframes, I laid out the sketches for each specific page. I used a list of references compiled during the research stage and then opened Sketch.

Designing the Site

Currently, I’ve completed only one mid-fidelity wireframe for the site. My goal for the homepage is to explain the student employment office and what users can do and find on the site. I’ve added important contact information, helpful call to actions, revised the contact section, and there is now a “Next Pay Date” section because people expressed interest in one. A “jobs search” link was also added to the homepage in addition to the one on the navigation bar. The second jobs link will decrease the time it takes for the user to find what they want.

There likely won’t be 6 social media icons and various links on the navigation bar may be changed. Copy for each page isn’t finalized.

Next Steps

I plan on finishing all the mid-fidelity wireframes in the coming weeks. After the wires are done a mid-fidelity prototype will be made using Craft (by Invision) in Sketch.